Sunday 28 June 2009

Thursday last week

The sun has shone nearly every day since we moved, which has been very jolly and made a trip to the coast great fun this weekend. I am perverse, perhaps, but my favourite day was Thursday last week, when it rained. We'd been walking by the river every evening in the good weather but on Wednesday I wimped out because the heat and sun was getting too much for my Saxon blood. On Thursday, the rain came and I was happy. I walked up the hill through the squares and gardens, smelling roses and hedges, wet grass. The whole world just washed - you know that smell? I bought a cup of excellent coffee and walked with it to the highest point in the city to see how it all looked, newly clean. The trip restored my equilibrium. I came home ready to write, made copious notes for the new novel, cleared the clouds from my head. Today the sun is back and just as bright. I'm glad because it's the weekend and we can pooter along the coast road, do some more discovering. But I can't wait for the next rainy day.

8 comments:

Gay Degani said...

getting excited for this next week so we can talk goals. FUN.

Sarah Hilary said...

Definitely. Drop me a line when you're signing in tomorrow.

Erin Ryan said...

Sarah,

I know just how you feel. Sometimes in the rain you can be more alone, the world is more mysterious ... I liked this entry a lot.

(In case you're not sure who I am, I met you in 2008 in Bantry; I was staying at Anam Cara. I have been reading your blog, but have not commented before.)

Sarah Hilary said...

Hi Erin, of course I remember! Bantry was such great fun. I wish I could be there again this year. How's the writing going?

Unknown said...

Rain! I love it; how everything looks and sounds and smells different after it's passed. The first winter rains have been passing through here recently and despite all the mess it makes, I'm waiting for the next rainy day too. :) Lovely entry.

Sarah Hilary said...

Hi, Belantana, thanks for dropping by. It poured with rain here at about 7am for the longest time but it was one of those strange summer rains that didn't refresh anything and now it's hotter than ever here. Ah, well. Soon, I hope!

Erin Ryan said...

The writing is going well. Two months ago I moved closer to the coast; now I'm doing part-time work and writing my fiction several hours a day.

When I met you in Bantry you asked me a question: Do you have a writing blog? You may not have realized it, but that question spurred me into action ... When I came back to the States I hit the tech books and learned how to build a Web site and finally added a blog last month! (I think my name on the comment links to it.)

It has done almost nothing but rain here for two weeks. At least it's good for enhancing melancholy.

Sarah Hilary said...

That's great, Erin! I'll definitely check out your blog soon.