Monday 30 June 2008

Story is conflict; mental Merz


I wrote over 2,000 words of conflict today, prefacing the final scene in the novel. I've had what I hope is a great idea for this final scene but it breaks all the rules and will require some serious skill to pull it off. I may find it defeats me in the execution. If it works, it will become part of the trademark "feel" for the whole series, so I'm excited and nervous in equal measure. I'm trying to follow at least one Golden Rule which is to Write It and not just Talk About Writing It. But after 2,000 words today I feel I can grab a moment to clear my head and re-focus on this final scene. I'm in London tomorrow (working) which is probably not a bad thing as it means I have travel time to think - sideways - about what I want to write and how I'm going to do it. I find it helps to have the idea gestating at a right-angle in the days before I tackle it head-on. Different perspective, for one thing. And also it's good to relax the synapses before the hard slog. Research, squirrel away all the facts - then forget about it. From this mental Merz comes, I hope, literary silver.

2 comments:

Nik Perring said...

Hope the sideways thinking is fruitful!

Nik

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Nik!