Wednesday 12 March 2008

Words from a Glass Bubble

I was lucky enough to attend the book launch for Vanessa Gebbie's Words from a Glass Bubble yesterday. A great event at a terrific venue, and I got to meet three writers I previously knew online-only, which was a treat.

On the train journey home, I dipped into the stories in Words from a Glass Bubble, and was hooked to the extent I read the whole collection in the two hours it took to get back.

These are wonderful, insightful stories, the sort that make you want to tread more carefully through life after reading them; stories which enrich and deepen the reading experience. And such range! Humour, history, anger, love and pathos. Everything you could ask for from a short story collection. All beautifully packaged in a slim hardback volume that feels just right in your hands. Writing - and reading - at its very best. Brava, Vanessa!

7 comments:

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Lovely to meet you... and what a review!!

thank you.

V

Rivers Fic said...

What a great sounding book! I shall have to see if I can find a copy. (it looks like I might have more luck when I come visit England, but we shall see.) I'm loving short fiction at the moment.

Sarah Hilary said...

Hi Vanessa! I wish I could review the book properly someplace but I know that The Short Review's ruled out now that I know you. I defy anyone, whether or not they know you, to be impartial about those stories.

Sarah Hilary said...

Hi River, yes do try and get your hands on a copy, especially if you're enjoying short fiction. It's a masterclass.

Nik Perring said...

Looking forward to receiving my copy even more after your review!

Nik

Sarah Hilary said...

Hi, Nik. It really is a terrific book. You're going to love it, I think.

Group 8 said...

I'm reading this book! It's great - moving and very well written. She doesn't shy away from hard subjects either, which I, for one, like a lot.
It's available from the publishers site, Salt. That's where I got it.
WRW